Thursday, October 10, 2013

At the Bottom of the Barrel

The other day, I stopped by one of my favorite junking spots. It's the kind of place that has stuff in large quantities. Barrels of old wine corks, barrels of bottle tops, barrels of discarded ribbons. You know, barrels. One of them held an impressive variety of fake flora, mostly the plastic & synthetic stuff that makes my skin crawl. However, on this particular day, look what was at the top of the pile....


A vintage bump chenille flower. And it was ORANGE. How lucky can a girl get only 3 weeks from Halloween, the orangiest holiday of the year? I snatched it up and started to dig further and further into the synthetic flotsam and jetsam. HELLO! The rest of the bump chenille bouquet appeared!


I promise you that I gasped out loud when I saw it. No one heard me, so if it's like that whole tree-falls-in-the-forest thing, I have no way of proving it. You can trust me on this. I gasped.


And now, look at the happy arrangement in my pure black English Ironstone jug. Girls, sometimes in this life, you just gotta dig.

4 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

If it involves bump chenille flowers I would be digging too.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Fantastic! They definitely needed to be rescued. I secured a few of those onto some plastic electric Christmas candles and gave them a Halloween transformation. The possibilities are endless. Yippee for chenille flowers!

Andy's Attic said...

Good digging, and it looks very seasonal in your black vase.

Heidi Ann said...

What a fabulous find!