Saturday, December 17, 2011

Oh, Baby!

It's bound to happen to all of us. You're on the bus or at a holiday party, and someone shows up with a baby. An ugly baby. What do you do when you come face to face with him/her? My mom always said the best response is: "Now, THERE'S a baby!"
That is exactly what I thought when I saw these vintage doll house infants at a sale. I was drawn to their itsy bitsy size, but on closer inspection, they're actually quite hideous.
   Limbs fashioned from bump chenille (!), expressions of colicky misery on their tiny plastic faces. As a special bonus, they appear to be dressed in straight jackets. Maybe back in the day, that was the solution when Mommy needed a night of playing Bunco and drinking Margaritas with the girls.


Now, THERE'S a baby!

12 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh I am laughing at 'now there's a baby'! I will need to remember that one! Those are a bit 'scary'.

suzieQ said...

Here's another expression when faced with an ugly baby; isn't he or she cunnin', which is a saying I have learned living in Maine.

The White Pear Tree said...

Best blog line today: "Now there's a baby!" LOL!

flyingbeader said...

Those are so ugly...but then I do like ugly unless it is spitting up at me or crying loud enough to split my ear drums.

★Carol★ said...

You're the first person I know with the balls to admit that some babies really are just plain ugly! You crack me up!

SousLeCharme said...

Why don't you start a "gallery of hideous dolls"? I would love to participate. I found a few more in the back of the closet. You should see what's hanging on my Christmas tree!

My Vintage Mending said...

My husband and I have a cue word for ugly.
"That's CUTE!" Now as I would like to tell you "Oh, that is Cute"...Merry Christmas...Rene

The Polka Dot Closet said...

NOw, there's actually a kinda cute baby, I will save your Mom's line for a really ugly baby!

Carol

Jeannie Marie said...

Now there's a baby! Haha!

Karen G @ It's Still Life said...

I am going to remember "Now there's a baby." Thanks for the smile.

Mary Kay Andrews said...

My Mom always liked to say, "Wow, nice outfit!" when confronted with a particularly heinous-looking infant. Which is way better than what my late uncle allegedly said the first time he saw my baby sister: "Jee-zus! That baby looks like a monkey."

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I think Seinfield used that line too.......sometimes there's just nothing else to say, is there? I always wonder....will they be the ones to grow up into beauties??

Happy New Year!

Blessings,
Spencer