Monday, April 26, 2010

The Humming Clock

I recently wrote a post about updates on our hut in Rockaway Beach. Many of you asked for more details on this clock...which used to grace the walls of the FBI branch office in Portland, Oregon.

When our friend Dave...

...was growing up in Portland, his dad, Paul, worked for the F.B.I. Paul was a radio technician and was responsible for ~ among other cool sounding duties ~ tracking Morse code communications for the bureau. After 35 years as a G-man, he retired and was given this clock as a parting gift.

Fast forward a few decades...Dave's sister, Kathy, decided to have a garage sale to get rid of the stuff that belonged to Mom and Dad. Kathy invited me to come over and have first crack at the bounty. The first thing I saw was the clock in the garage with a $5 price tag on it. (Uh....Hello!!!) I made absolutey sure that no one in the family wanted it, then squealed "OOOoooo, THAT is coming home with me!" As a bonus, it makes a soothing humming noise while keeping perfect time. It's fabulous in the hut.

10 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Total treasure...that is what the hunt is all about.

trash talk said...

Tres cool clock...'course I find it a little amusing (since I worked for the government for upteen years) that the FBI would need a "cheat sheet" clock to remember military time!
Debbie

Rose H (UK) said...

I loved it when I first saw it. What a treasure - a good case of 'It's not what you know , but who you know!'

Unknown said...

Lucky you! How nice of you to ask the family. I can't say I would have. I'd like to think I would.
Have a great day!

Amber Von Felts said...

So is your friend Dave, um...David Letterman cuz the resemblance is uncanny! Maybe its the cigar but if that guy has a gap tooth, they could be brothers!

Barbara said...

Wow, cool, cool clock! Wouldn't it be something if it had a picture of J. Edgar in the center??? :)

Andy's Attic said...

It is a really COOL clock. Hope they didn't "bug" it with a little camera :>)
Annette

Chickens in the Basement said...

Very cool! I love knowing the story about a treasure! It makes it so much better!

The Boston Lady said...

How absolutely fun and what a great story behind it. Have to agree that friend Dave looks like Letterman. Hmmmmm, those FBI undercover jobs CAN be quite cushy! Always enjoy your blog.

EverydayMe said...

i loved this clock the first time you showed it and I still do... it's so fab... you're one lucky girl!!
{{hugs}} Michelle