Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Adolescent Crush and Growing Up Behind the Orange Curtain

I had a sweatshirt similar to this in the 1970's. I used to wear it while I mowed the lawn. And pretty much all the time, come to think of it. Every once in awhile, I let my mom wash it. All these decades later, I still have a thang for Al Green.

Keep in mind that I grew up in Orange County, California. The county that votes 98% Republican in every election. The county where a chapter of The John Birch Society was on my college campus (UC Irvine). The county that even The West Wing made fun of. When I registered as a Democrat at age 18, there was quite an uproar. After the shock wore off, my parents were sort of okay with it, but didn't dare tell my Grandpa Otto. They thought it might kill him.

In college, when I volunteered for the Mondale/Ferraro campaign, things got worse. One time at the Bank of America, a woman HIT ME with her purse because she didn't like my 'MONDALE for President' button.

So you might say it was a little "liberal" to wear a shirt in public with the likeness of a soul singer who was also black. Looking back, I think I might have done it just to piss people off. 'Cause even at 11, that's the kind of girl I was. I sure wish I knew where that sweatshirt was now. I might have to ask for a new one for Christmas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm off to Orange County (yikes!) to visit my family and help look after my dear dad who is having cataract surgery. Please send good thoughts and I'll be back soon with more stories and (if all goes well) more junk!

8 comments:

JustJoan said...

Pam, I hope all goes well in California. Give your parents my best. Love, Joan

Sammy Girl said...

Oh, sweetie! I think we were just BORN to be rule breakers (or benders) and just your basic contrarians! Maybe not all the same rules, but still!
Have a good visit with family - but perhaps not talk politics!
Hugs -
Betty :)

Six in One Hand said...

Sending you some "Love and Happines" for you and your dad.

I love AL Green!!!
My husband and I had our first dance to "Let's Stay Together."
Your post made me laugh. I can just see that old lady whacking you with her purse..LOL!

★Carol★ said...

Don't go changin' while you're there, girl! They'll suck your brain dry out there! Funniest thing I've heard in a long time--can't tell Grandpa Otto you're a big old Democrat!

Lisa said...

Good thoughts out to your father on his surgery. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

Can't wait to hear all the adventures when you return.

Richard said...

Blimey, having just escaped from Orange County--after living there for years--I feel for you.

Last year 74% of OC residents were registered Republicans.

kjkljk;ljljgjgfuyhd said...

This story cracks me up!
I hope your trip is safe and all goes well.
Happy Thanksgiving and
Blessings,
Franny

Deeba said...

My comment relates only tangentially to your post, BUT I am SO sick of Palin already, again, whatever will we do as the Rogue Elk-Killing Moron continues to get herself plastered everywhere between now and the next election.... Aaarrrgghh!