Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It is a new day in America

Yesterday, Election Day, the sun was shining through the clouds when I woke up.  With my heart full of excitement, I headed towards the Obama HQ in my neighborhood so I could volunteer. I could feel and hear the energy even before I got around the corner. This is what it looked like out front:
Happy people shouting and singing, cars honking, voters dropping off their ballots and the office filled with people; young and old, Black, White, Asian, Hispanic. It was unbelievable. We were all connected to each other. I was especially moved by the sight of ancient Black grandmas, in their chairs, stapling together voter information.  I started to tell a campaign worker that I was there to volunteer, when my voice caught and I began to cry.  I canvassed for awhile and later brought my kids (& friends) to experience the happy chaos for themselves.

Then last night, we gathered together our nearest and dearest to watch the election results.

Then it happened....


Yes we can! Yes we did! Yes we will!

1 comment:

Marg said...

I loved Election night at your house. It was so great to be together when it finally happened. Thanks for opening up your home. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your hard work for Barack and for our country. Yes you did!

Love,
Marg