Friday, February 29, 2008

I Have a Problem - Chapter 1

Just in case you were wondering, I have a concrete problem. Love the stuff, the more beat up (ahem) aged, the better. The last time we moved, the guys were schlepping the last of many urns and other assortments into the back of the moving van. I said to one of them (as a kind of apology): "We have a lot of stuff, don't we?" He put down the 200 lb birdbath and said "Lady, it's not that you have a lot of stuff; it's that you have a lot of ODDBALL stuff." I swear it was the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. My husband has explicit instructions that the word "oddball" must appear somewhere on my headstone. That, and "she was sometimes a headache, but never a bore". And the headstone better be crafted from old, fabulous, chipped up concrete.

So the other day, I am screeching down NE Wygant St. looking for an estate sale, and look what I saw? Okay, so if you take away the gravel, the plastic chairs and the rusted chain link fence, don't you feel JUST like you are standing on the steps of the New York City Public Library?
Photo courtesy of harx1.blogspot.com Thanks Kerri!

2 comments:

Diane Gilleland said...

I love those lions! If I didn't live upstairs, I'd have a concrete problem, too!

maria said...

hi pam!!
I see absolutely no problem in collecting concrete. After all, we collactor's have to stick together!