Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Letters from famous people - Part 3

Okay, it wasn't a letter...but something even better. A bit scandalous even. A famous person tried to pick me up once. I was living in New York. The year was 1989 or thereabouts. One crisp Fall afternoon, I was waiting for a downtown bus on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

You know how sometimes you can feel that someone is watching you? It was like that. I turned to look and caught the gaze of a man walking towards the bus stop. He smiled at me, slowed down, and said, "Don't I know you?" Just then I twigged. It was...

Carl Bernstein!

I said "I don't think so." and started to scrounge around in my bag like I suddenly realized I needed some chapstick. Then it hit me: This is the Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who helped bring down an American president, and the best line he has is: "Don't I know you?"

Still, my research shows that over the years, he dated Liz Taylor, Bianca Jagger , Martha Stewart and was once married to Nora Ephron, who ~ by the way ~ is a genius. (You can read her blog on Huffington Post.) Just goes to show you, One Gal's Trash is in very good company. Come to think of it, I should have jumped all over him...I certainly would have had a book deal by now!

4 comments:

trash talk said...

Yep, you should have looked him straight in the eye and said "No, but we can change that!". I guess when your C.B. you don't have to have a smooth move! I am getting hooked on these famous posts!
Debbie

Deeba said...

This just gets better and better! Steamy stories during a heat wave! Can't wait to read more. Also made me realize, I need a NYC fix - soon!

kjkljk;ljljgjgfuyhd said...

I don't knoooow, was he looking like that when you met him? Hahahahaa! O.k., o.k., maybe he smelled like a good cologne?

Eileen said...

For a minute there, he/she looked like President Jimmy Carter in drag. And isn't he like 4 foot 3. You can do better than that. LOL
Anywho, thanks for checking me out at bogglemama.com. I'll be back to read more.